The 2013 NFL Supplemental Draft – Two Guys The Broncos Won’t Bid On

Share/Bookmark

2013-nfl-draft

The NFL is scheduled to hold it’s 2013 Supplemental Draft on July 11th. If needed. I say this because as yet, there are only two candidates who have applied for the event. Monday was the deadline, so we can infer that there won’t be any late additions. The two players who have petitioned the league for consideration are: former Central Florida Defensive End Kenny “Toby” Jackson and South Alabama Cornerback Damond Smith.

The Supplemental Draft is a formal “last chance” for college players that have lost playing eligibility or got kicked off their respective teams. These are players with issues. Character issues, off-the-field issues, academic issues and well, you get the picture. On occasion, there is a player that graduated too late to declare for the regular draft who petitions the league for a chance at the Supplemental Draft, but it is a rare event.

Denver has participated in this Draft before. Former Bronco Running Back Bobby Humphrey was selected with a first round pick by Denver in the 1989 NFL Supplemental Draft. Last year, the Cleveland Brown used a 2nd round pick on Wide Receiver Josh Gordon and the Oakland Raiders spent a 3rd round pick on Quarterback Terrelle Pryor in 2011.

Let’s take a look at the two options this year.

6’-5”, 257 lb. Defensive End Kenny “Toby” Jackson, most recently of Central Florida, was a four-star  recruit out of Griffin High School (Ga.). He attended (JUCO) Navarro College in Corsicana, Texas, where he made 33 Tackles, six Tackles For a Loss and one Sack in 2009. Toby was also named MVP in Navarro’s National Championship Game victory against Butler (Kan.) Community College.

Jackson signed with UCF in December 2010 after originally signed with Georgia and chose the over scholarship offers from Alabama, Tennessee, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas Tech, North Carolina, Southern Miss and USF. He was rated 12th overall JUCO prospect on Rivals.com 2011 Junior College Top 50.

He missed the 2012 season due to academic reasons but appeared in nine games with two starts at DE and recorded 14 tackles (11 solo) with three TFL’s and one blocked punt.

It’s rather easy to see what happened to Jackson. He has made bad choices with his career though they weren’t character issues. He has had trouble with Academics, so one would wonder how that transfers to the Pro level as far as learning and studying are concerned. Toby majored in interdisciplinary studies with a minor in coaching during college and claims his biggest weakness on the field is reacting to plays pass first instead of reading his keys. He also tends to peek in the backfield before beating his blocker.

South Alabama’s Damond Smith is a 6’-0”, 186 lb. Cornerback who runs a 4.44 40-yard dash. The reason Smith is in the Supplemental Draft is because he was suspended in 2011 and did not play in 2012. The Green Bay Packers tried to sign him as a CFA after the draft before finding out he was ruled ineligible.

It has been a winding road for Damond. He was the top-rated Cornerback and ranked 32nd overall in the state by the Detroit News coming out of Inkster High, collecting 136 Tackles and nine picks during his career a a Viking. Smith also played on Offense, recording 580 all-purpose yards and 3 Touchdowns his senior year.

Damond played his first two seasons on the collegiate level at Western Michigan University. As a freshman in 2009, Smith was credited with 26 Tackles, 2 Interceptions and 3 Pass Breakups. In his Sophomore campaign, he recorded 29 Tackles in seven games (6 starts).

Smith then transferred to South Alabama, where it appeared he would fit right in. Penciled in as one of the Jaguars starting Corners, Damond played the first 4 games before being suspended indefinitely for “a violation of team and departmental rules’ on October 7th 2011.

A cocky, confident lad, Damond considers himself a “Shutdown Corner.”

“I believe I can press every single down. I can play off. I’m very versatile doing both of those. I believe my physical nature at cornerback is also another thing they will be impressed with. I’m not afraid to stick my nose in there to make some plays.”

Smith is an above average athlete, with the size and speed to succeed in the NFL. His character issues have not been made public and he will need to come clean for any team interested in taking a chance on him.

Damond Smith Highlights

South Alabama

Western Michigan #6

I don’t expect the Broncos to take either one of these players, especially since they have been ridding their roster of Locker room problems since John Elway made his latest comeback. No more Travis Henry’s, Perrish Cox’s, D.J. Williams, etc. Besides, this year’s roster is stacked with enough depth that there will be a few very good players released.

Toby Jackson’s Pro Day will take place July 8th at a Georgia high school. Damond Smith’s Pro day will occur on July 9th. The Supplemental Draft will take place via conference call on July 11th.

Go Broncos!

– Kaptain Kirk

Follow me on Twitter

Kaptain Kirk on Facebook