2013 NFL Draft: Patton Visits The Broncos

Share/Bookmark

While there hasn’t been much news about which prospects the Denver Broncos have shown interest in lately, I came across this Meadow Muffin via Twitter today along with a confirmation from Rotoworld:

Louisiana Tech had it’s Pro Day on Tuesday and 22 year old Wideout Quinton Patton caught the Broncos attention. So much so, that they had breakfast with him this morning. Let’s find out more about Patton.

Quinton is ranked 6th out of 371 Wide Receiver prospects nationally and 41st overall in the 2013 Draft class. He is projected as a 2nd rounder.

A Redshirt Senior who stands 6’-0”, 204 lbs.,  Patton played two seasons for the Bulldogs after a three year stint at Coffeyville (KS) Community College.

BIO

“I feel like (Quinton Patton) from Louisiana Tech is the best receiver I’ve played against since I’ve been here. I’ve gone against some good ones in the SEC, too, but he’s probably the most complete.”     ~ Mississippi State CB Jonathan Banks, ESPN.com, Oct. 28, 2011

Last season, Patton played 12 games, totaling 104 catches for 1392 yards, a 13.4 average and 13 Touchdowns as he and the rest of the Louisiana Tech offense took the nation by storm. Their up-tempo passing offense racked up huge scores, tons of yardage, and a 9-3 record. He averaged 116 yards receiving per game and 1.08 TD’s per game. Quinton had a career high 21 catches for 233 yards and 4 TD’s against Texas A&M in a 59-57 Overtime loss on 10/13/12. He scored on 11, 2, 5 and 62 yard passes from Bulldog QB Colby Cameron. Patton also earned 1st-team all-conference honors for the 2nd consecutive year.

In 2011, Quinton earned honors as the Louisiana Newcomer of the Year and made the  First Team All-WAC and  First Team All-Louisiana rosters as well as the Biletnikoff Award Watch List. He started in all 13 games, catching 79 passes for 1,202 yards and 11 Touchdowns as he averaged 15.2 yards per catch. He also ran the ball 10 times for 42 yards, returned six kickoffs 98 yards and eight punts 27 yards. Patton caught a career-high 11 passes for 87 yards and one Touchdown and had two carries for seven yards in a 26-20 overtime loss at Mississippi State (9/24) and was a big reason for Louisiana Tech’s seven game win streak throughout October and November as the Bulldogs won the Western Athletic Conference title. 

He was Redshirted at Coffeyville for the 2008 season and during the next two years played in 19 games with 73 catches for 996 yards and 7 TDs. Quinton was also used as the Punter and averaged 39.03 yards on 70 punts and was named the team MVP in 2010.

DRAFT PROFILE

NFL.COM DRAFT GRADE – 83.8

Arm Length:32 7/8″

Hand Length:9 3/8″

Combine Scores

40 Yd Time: 4.53

Bench: 8 Reps

Vertical Jump: 33″

Broad Jump: 118″

3-Cone: 6.91

20 Yd Shuttle 4.01*

STRENGTHS: Patton has an athletic build with long arms,the height and the  length to play outside at the next level. He is quick off the snap and sets up the Cornerback with a good shimmy-step or head fake. A fluid, economic mover who plays under control, Quinton shows good quickness, strength and competitiveness versus press coverage. His experience as a punt returner is  evident once he gets the ball in the open field. Shows good vision to set up blocks and good shake to elude defenders one on one. Patton doesn’t possess elite breakaway speed but has the burst to turn a short pass into a long gain. He consistently catches the ball with his hands away from his body, even when tracking passes over either shoulder. Quinton has a good vertical leap to win jump balls in the end zone and over the middle with great concentration. Acrobatic and excellent at adjusting to the ball in the air, especially on back-shoulder fade routes. Good sideline awareness.

Patton does a great job selling pass routes where he knows he’s not the primary target in order to free up the underneath or cross-field receiver. He plays with a feisty attitude and shows fight as a run blocker. Willing to use multiple punches to keep his man at bay and works himself into the correct blocking angle. Hustles downfield to help out fellow ballcarriers.

WEAKNESSES: Does not appear to possess elite breakaway speed. Struggles to gain separation on deep passes and while a very good route-runner, doesn’t possess true explosiveness out of his breaks. Isn’t afraid to mix it up with defenders as he runs his routes and will push-off on occasion to help gain separation, drawing the rare offensive pass interference flag.

Possesses generally reliable hands but will drop an occasional pass, especially when defenders are battling with him. Must get stronger and improve his concentration to make the tough grabs with defenders ripping away at his arms as the ball arrives. Can make defenders miss but doesn’t show much strength to run through arm tackles.

COMPARES TO: Nate Washington, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Lloyd

BOTTOM LINE: A first-team All-WAC pick in 2011 and 2012, Patton is an acrobat along the sideline, but needs to improve attacking the ball when contested.

His reliable route-running, soft hands and deceptive speed would have made him a featured target in any scheme. He has good body control and can contort into acrobatic catches with ease. He will need to spend time with Broncos Strength and Conditioning coach Luke Richesson if all he can put up is 8 reps on the Bench press. Just by looking at Patton you can tell his slender frame needs an addition of muscle mass.

The great thing is, he can play outside or in the slot and is effective on quick WR screens. He has enough speed to get on top of the defense, but doesn’t separate real well with vertical speed.

Patton has the makings of a possession receiver who can be relied upon to make the big play with the game on the line due to his reliable hands and ability to hang onto the football.

VIDEOS

Quinton Patton Highlights HD 2012

Quinton Patton vs Texas A&M (2012)

Quinton Patton (WR Louisiana Tech) Senior Bowl

2013 NFL Draft Profile: Quinton Patton – Louisiana Tech

At Louisiana Tech I mostly played outside on the right. But the offense was so potent I didn’t have to change positions. … In junior college I always played the slot receiver, to the left and to the right.”

Sounds like a kid who could excel in a Peyton Manning Offense to me.

Go Broncos!

—- Kaptain Kirk

Follow me on Twitter

Kaptain Kirk on Facebook