2013 Denver Bronco CFA’s: Ryan Doerr

Share/Bookmark

Ryan Doerr

It has been awhile since the Denver Broncos have had a competition in Training Camp for Punters. Incumbent Britton Colquitt lost out to Brett Kern and Mitch Berger, which both proved to be huge mistakes. When the team finally realized Berger was incapable of doing the job, Britton was poached from the Miami Dolphins’ Practice Squad and on December 30, 2009, Colquitt took over the Punting duties for the Broncos. He has done well too. So well that no other Punter have been invited to Camp for 2 years. However, this season, the Broncos have a recurring theme — Competition. Britton will have someone vying with him for a job to keep him sharp. A College Free Agent by the name of  Ryan Doerr.

Doerr (pronounced “Door”), is a 6’-3”, 189 lb., 23-year old Punter out of Kansas State. NFL Draft Scout rated Doerr as the 35th out of 54 Punter prospects in the 2013 Draft class. He wasn’t expected to be drafted, but then, nobody drafts Punters unless they are elite. His 40 Yard Time is listed as 4.73 and that is the only measurable available on Ryan, simply because Punters don’t usually attend the Scouting Combine and they don’t have Pro Days. Their work speaks for itself.

Ryan was rated the No. 18 kicker by Rivals.com his senior year at Katy High School (2007) and a Prep All-American by numerous publications. He helped them to a 16-0 record and the 2007 Class 5A Division II state title. Doerr averaged 42.7 yards per punt that season. He also racked up 57 Touchbacks on 108 Kickoff attempts (2.7%).

Doerr did not choose Kansas State out of high school.  But after signing with South Carolina during his senior year at Katy, he decided it was in his best interest to transfer away.  Having grown up a K-State fan, choosing to become a Wildcat was a no-brainer for the Texas native. That decision caused him to sit out the 2008 season.

In 2009, Ryan finished 6th in the Big 12 with a 41.9-yard average in conference games. He had a career day against Kansas when he hit three punts for a 46.3-yard average, including a 53-yarder, which tied his career high. Doerr also dropped a season-high three punts inside the 20-yard line against the Jayhawks. He blasted four punts for a 43.2-yard average, including two over 50 yards, against UCLA and also had a 43.7-yard average at Oklahoma with one punt inside the 20.

The 2010 season saw Doerr earn a 3rd Team All-Big 12 selection by Phil Steele. He averaged 41.3 yards a punt. His averaged climbed to 45.0 yards or greater in four games, including a season-high 47.5 average vs. Iowa State and a 46.6-yard average at Colorado. Ryan boomed a season-long 57-yarder at Missouri.

In 2011, Doerr was a candidate for the Ray Guy Award, averaging 40.8 yards per punt in 67 attempts, including eight that sailed 50 or more yards and 14 that were downed inside the 20. His best game that year came against Texas A&M. Ryan punted six times for a 46.0-yard average, including a career-long 65-yarder. He carried a 44.0-yard average on three punts against Baylor and tied his career high with three punts landing inside the 20-yard line against Kent State.

An All-Big 12 Candidate in 2012, Doerr punted 41 times that Senior year and averaged 41 yards per punt. As a four year starter, Ryan ranked 6th in Wildcat history in career yardage and 8th in career average.  What the stats don’t show, is the fact that he has downed seven punts inside the 20-yard-line this season, including five against Oklahoma alone. That earned him Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week.  With the Wildcats’ offensive style of play revolving around time of possession and field position, Doerr can change the complexion of a game with a few shorter-than-average kicks.

Doerr was a consistent punter for Kansas State, averaging 41.1 yards per attempt through four full seasons. He amassed 30 punts of more than 50 yards and landed 59 inside the 20-yard line in his career. His longest punt of 65 yards came in 2011. As a senior, Doerr averaged 41.0 yards and dropped 15 inside the 20.

KSU Special Teams Coordinator Sean Snyder on Doerr:

“Ryan is a good worker. He takes a lot of pride in his skill level and his contribution to our football team and Special Teams. It is a field position ball game, and there are a lot of things that contributed to field position and certainly Ryan’s punting is one of them.”

Snyder is one of the best punters in K-State history and that has been a boon to Ryan, who doesn’t mind pursuing high goals:

“I want to be the best, I do. I work really hard at what I do and try to be the best. My expectations for myself are very high. What I want to achieve is very high. It just takes a lot of working hard every day, even when it gets a little repetitive. You still have to do it.”

VIDEO

Ryan Doerr Kansas State University Punting Video from Coach Zauner’s 2013 College Senior Combine

How he fits in Denver:

Ryan Doerr is coming in to compete with Britton Colquitt for the Broncos Punting job. It appears that he has something to offer the Broncos, but I will wait and watch the pair in Training Camp. If the battle is close, Doerr may get the nod for financial reasons. He will make slightly more in the next 3 seasons that Colquitt will earn in 2013.

• Ryan Doerr: 3-years, $1.491 Million. The deal included a $700 signing bonus. 2013: $410,000, 2014: $495,000, 2015: $585,000, 2016: Restricted Free Agent

• Britton Colquitt: 1-year, $1.323 million contract. 2014: Free Agent

Understand that I’m not saying it will happen. Britton has done an admirable job and improved each year, it’s just that last season CFA Aaron Brewer came in and replaced Lonie Paxton as the Broncos Long Snapper for a similar savings.

Go Broncos!

– Kaptain Kirk

Follow me on Twitter

Kaptain Kirk on Facebook