2013 Denver Bronco CFA’s: Manase Foketi

Share/Bookmark

Manase Foketi

As we continue with our look at the Denver Broncos 2013 College Free Agents, this third installment will feature 6’-5”, 318 lb. Guard Manase Foketi.

Pronounced (Muh-NAH-SEE FOE-kettie) is a 22 year old prospect out of West Texas A&M via Kansas State and Mt. San Antonio College (Ca.).

NFL Draft Scout ranked Foketi 29th out of 171 Guards across the nation and 496th overall in 2013. He had 7th round expectations. Here are his measurables:

• 40 Yard Time – 5.54

• 20 Yard Split – 3.22

• 10 Yard Split – 1.89

• Bench Press – 25

• Vertical Jump – 26.5”

• Broad Jump – 107”

• 20 Yard Shuttle – 5.06

• 3-Cone Drill – 8.11

• Arm Length – 34.5”

• Hand Length – 10 5/8”

A two-year letterman at Sultana high school (Hesperia, Ca), Manase was named all-league, all-county and all-Southern California in 2007, when he did not allow a single Sack as a Senior. Foketi then played two seasons at Mt. San Antonio College, helping the team total a combined 15-3 record.

In 2010, he transferred to Kansas State, starting all 13 games at Left Tackle. The Wildcats rushing attack gained a healthy 200.0 yards per game, ranking second in the Big 12, 20th nationally and 11th in school history. Foketi started the first two games of the 2011 season in Manhattan before suffering a tear to his Achilles tendon, ending his year. He was given a medical redshirt, giving him one final year of eligibility, but after graduating with a degree in criminal justice, he requested a transfer. KSU refused to grant the transfer to another D-I program, so Manase moved down to Division II West Texas A&M in 2012. After playing in the Big-12, Foketi dominated at the lower level, grading out at 95% for the season and was a finalist for the Gene Upshaw Division II Lineman of the Year Award.

ANALYSISNFL.com and CBSSports.com

DRAFT GRADE – 61.0

STRENGTHS: Manase has a stout frame with long arms and is much lighter on his feet than his thick build would seem to indicate. Possesses a typical Polynesian build with little muscle definition but good overall weight distribution and surprisingly long arms. He is an aggressive run blocker who seeks to knock people over and looks to intimidate them with pancake blocks when he can. Using good balance and a nice knee bend, Foketi has the strength to control his opponent and ride him out of plays when he gets his hands inside their chest.He has the agility to move well laterally, showing good depth and balance in his kick-slide.

WEAKNESSES: He only spent one season at the Divion I level and operated that year at left tackle for a Wildcats’ team that featured a highly mobile quarterback in Colin Klein, thus his ability to pass protect is a bit of a question. While surprisingly athletic, Manase does not appear to have the foot speed to remain at Left Tackle and hasn’t played any other position in his collegiate career.

NFL COMPARISON: Jermon Bushrod (Bears), Marshall Newhouse (Packers)

“Manase was one of the most unselfish athletes I have ever coached. He was accepted immediately by his teammates in spite of only arriving shortly before our season began. He played all 15 games with numerous injuries that would have kept most athletes on the sideline. He was voted our Most Valuable Player this season. You could not find a better teammate than Manase.” ~West Texas A&M head coach Don Carthel

“Manase is a great player and he has all of the qualities you look for in an offensive lineman. I’m extremely excited to see him get the opportunity to play at the next level.  Manase is smart, he knows success for him isn’t just making it there, but what does while he is with Denver.  I look forward to seeing what is to come for him.” ~West Texas A&M Offensive line coach Matt Storm

“Manase was a truly gifted athlete who was a lot of fun to coach. Guys like Manase don’t come around in a coaching career often.  He is a great player and a better guy.” ~West Texas A&M Offensive coordinator Stephen Lee

How he fits in Denver:

Manase Foketi will compete for depth at Guard and perhaps get looks at Right Tackle due to his long arms and prowess as a Run Blocker. His limited experience against higher competition may give him longer odds than his teammates in Training Camp, but he’s Samoan…and they kick ass!

Correction 5/7/13: I have been informed that Manase is of Tongan descent, not Samoan. And while that may not matter to some readers, it is important for me to present correct facts. I also think it matters to bith the Tongan and Samoan communities. I humbly apologize for the error.

Go Broncos!

– Kaptain Kirk

Follow me on Twitter

Kaptain Kirk on Facebook