2013 Denver Bronco CFA’s: Lanston Tanyi

Share/Bookmark

Lanston Tanyi

The Denver Broncos added a couple of College Free Agents who came in for a tryout this past weekend after one CFA failed his physical and another got beat out by a more impressive prospect. Defensive End Lanston Tanyi was one of the beneficiaries.

Tanyi (TAHN-Yee) is a 6’-2”, 250 lb.,  22-year old earned a degree at Appalachian State in Communication – Electronic/Media Broadcasting and played an additional year at Colorado State University under a post-graduate studies rule that allowed him to play immediately and use his final year of eligibility to work towards a Master’s in Education Human Resources.

NFL Draft Scout rated Lanston as the 76th out of 148 Defensive End prospects and he wasn’t expected to be taken in the Draft. Here are his Pro Day measurables:

• 40 Yard Time – 4.93

• 20 Yard Split – 2.84

• 10 Yard Split – 1.70

• Bench Press – 21

• Vertical Jump – 30”

• Broad Jump – 111”

• 20 Yard Shuttle – 4.44

• 3-Cone Drill – 7.26

Tanyi played the 2012 season at CSU while taking graduate courses after receiving his undergraduate degree from Appalachian State. He earned 2nd-team All-Mountain West honors, making 77 Tackles, 2nd-most among Mountain West Defensive Linemen and 2nd-most by a CSU lineman since 1988. His six Quarterback Hurries were the most by a Rams player since 1999.

At Shelby High School, Lanston was a 2-time All-State Defensive Lineman. He amassed 237 Tackles and 25 Sacks over his final two seasons, including 123 stops, 10 Sacks, five Blocked Kicks, three Fumble Recoveries and an Interception as a senior. Tanyi also participated in the Shrine Bowl.

In 2008, Lanston was one of only two true freshman starters for the Mountaineers. He started nine of the final 11 games at Left Defensive End. Tanyi tied Right End Jabari Fletcher for the team lead with six Sacks. He led ASU with 9 Quarterback Hurries, 52 Tackles, 7 Tackles For Loss and tallied multiple Tackles in 12-of-14 games.

As a Sophomore (2009), Tanyi played in 13 games for the Mountaineers, making nine starts at Defensive End and earning 2nd-team all-Southern Conference honors.

He led ASU, ranked 3rd in the SoCon and tied for 25th nationally with 7.5 Sacks while showing an all-around defensive contribution with 75 Tackles (3rd best on the team), 11 Tackles For Loss (2nd on the team and 6th in SoCon). Lanston also recorded seven Quarterback Hurries. He got off to a slow start through the first 5 games with just 24 Tackles, 1.5 Sacks and 2.5 TFL, but had a breakout performance in Week six with nine Tackles in a win at Wofford. after that, Tanyi finished strong, recording 32 of his 75 Tackles (42.7%) and five of his 7.5 Sacks (66.7%) over the final 4 games of the season. He did not play in the national semifinals at Montana after suffering a severe injury to his left knee during a non-contact punt-return drill during practice just three days prior to the game.

Lanston took a Medical Redshirt in 2010 after sustaining a severe injury to his left foot during fall camp. He underwent surgery and out for the season.

In 2011, Tanyi played in four games for the Mountaineers, recording 20 Tackles and two Tackles For Loss. He was held out a large part of the season due to an unspecified university issue. Rumor has it that he was suspended for disciplinary reasons.

As a Senior in 2012, Lanston transferred to Colorado State University for postgraduate studies and to use his remaining year of eligibility. He played in all 12 games for the Rams and started 10.  Tanyi was selected by his teammates as the Rams’ MVP last season. He was the Rams’ 3rd-leading Tackler with 77, the most by a CSU defensive lineman since 1995. He had 3.5 Tackles For Losses, including 3 Sacks, and also led the team in Quarterback Hurries with six, the most by a CSU player since 1999. Tanyi also broke up one pass and Recovered two Fumbles in his only season with the Rams. In a CSU home victory over Hawai’i (Oct. 27), Tanyi played over 100 snaps on Defense and Special Teams, while recording a career-high 13 Tackles and 2.5 Sacks. Those 13 Tackles were the most by a Rams Defensive Lineman since 2005. In his first and only Border War against Wyoming (Nov. 3) had his 4th double-digit tackle performance of the season with 10 Tackles.

Lanston signed with the Broncos on May 12th after participating in the team’s Rookie Minicamp over the weekend. It was the second Mini Camp in two weeks for Tanyi. He had a tryout with the Washington Redskins’ last weekend.

Of his experience a week ago with the Redskins, Tanyi said:

“I do believe it helped in terms of not being as nervous and knowing what to expect. I wasn’t really sleeping that much. I think I did a great job there, but they were really deep at the position. They liked me, but when I came (to the Broncos’ camp) I’m a 4-3 Defensive End. Either one of those are positions that are more natural for me than the 3-4 Defensive End that I was (at CSU). Going back to my natural position I was able to just show that it was more natural for me.”

VIDEOS

Lanston Tanyi 2012 Defense High Lights

Lanston Tanyi Workout 3/28/13

How he fits in Denver:

The Broncos have brought in a large mix of players to make up for the Sack totals and Quarterback pressure that left with Defensive End Elvis Dumervil. Pass rushing Outside Linebackers, Defensive Ends and Hybrids of the two are being thrown into the competition to add Sack production and disruption to the Broncos Defense.

Lanston must be healthy from his two severe injuries in 2010 and 2011, because he passed the physical. He dominated in the Division II Southern Conference and did very well after moving up to Division I ball in 2012. Plus the fact that he is returning to his natural position makes Tanyi an intriguing pick up for Training Camp. Lets see what this kid can do during his summer audition.

Good Luck Lanston Tanyi and Welcome to Broncos Country.

Go Broncos!

– Kaptain Kirk

Follow me on Twitter

Kaptain Kirk on Facebook